Friday, August 10, 2007

The Value of Meetings

In case any of you missed it, I had one story on SLAC Today yesterday. It was about low conductivity water, which flows through large wires for heavy equipment such as magnets and klystrons to cool them off. It's interesting, because you wouldn't think of water flowing inside of a wire. It just seems counter intuitive.

Or maybe it's just me.

Anyways, apparently water isn't very conductive in its purist state. It is the impurities such as salt and minerals that conduct the electricity, which I find fairly interesting.

Anyways, on to today's topic, which was actually brought up at the bar yesterday evening after work. (And yes, I had myself a couple of Guinnesses, is that plural right? I mean come on, they're the same price on-tap as bud light. What would you do?)

Earlier in the day the entire communications team met with a couple of guys from a firm hired to audit SLAC's administration procedures. Our job in the process is actually rather important. We're responsible for letting the site know what they're doing, how the process is moving, and calming any fears or doubts that the faculty and staff may have about the process.

Well, at least I think it's important.

Now, since I've only been there for about 3 months, I didn't have anything to contribute. This could have made the meeting extremely boring (even though we did get a free lunch out of the deal) but I payed attention anyways.

Why? Well, because the director of our office, and several others, had very insightful questions and intelligent ideas. They have this wonderful way of knowing exactly what to say and in what way to say it, and I think a lot of it comes with experience.

Everyone has to sit through boring meetings now and then, it's a matter of life and work, no matter what job you have. The key to it all, and to becoming a good leader in an organization, is still being able to pay attention and contribute in the end.

During my time in Indiana's Department of Media Relations, I rarely attended the weekly staff meetings. Usually I wasn't even in the office on Fridays when they tended to occur, but I also assumed they didn't really care much what I was working on, because it was never much or that important. But now I realize the reason for attending isn't for them, its for me, and my learning experience during my internship.

And so I go to every Symmetry magazine, media relations, and general meetings that I can. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they're boring at all, I'm just saying that I see the value in them, and that I may not have gone to them a year ago.

If I'm not careful I'm going to be a grown up soon. Think I'll go out and have a few beers to knock myself back down a couple of pegs...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear, dear little brother. The time of being a grown up is quickly approaching. Yes, beer will help to slow the process, but no amount of beer in the world will keep the bills and the steady 9-5 (cliche, not meant to be an actual measurement) job comming. With it comes much joy: paid vacation, health benifits, and a larger, steady pay check. Then the loan repayment starts and you ARE a grown up. With so much in life, like food, it's all about the balance of sweet, sour, and hot.
Now, to help keep the adult-ness at a steady decline, I will watch "Army of Darkness" with some friends who managed to escape the 90's without seeing it. THIS IS MY BOOM STICK!!