Thursday, August 9, 2007

Rules of the Site

In the excitement of possibly receiving a massive amount of hits on my last post, I completely forgot to inform you about my story appearing yesterday! My article on the search for dark matter appeared, which you can read about on two former posts here, and here. Or you can simply read the article from SLAC Today by clicking here.

Well my blog has now been officially publicized on SLAC Today and it brought in a staggering total of comments of… zero. Notta. Zilch. Nothing.

Slightly disappointing, but I did receive several comments around SLAC and a couple of emails. Through word of mouth, I believe many people did check in on my blog, its just nobody left any comments.

I can understand why, it may seem like a bother to take the time to leave a comment. Also, to do it properly, you have to sign up for an account to this overarching blogging site. And nobody likes to sign up for something that may eventually lead to their email accounts being spammed back into the Stone Age…

Which brings up an interesting point. Part of the idea of this project is to learn about blogging. What works and what doesn't work? Well, apparently, when you make people sign up for something in order to post comments, you get less comments. This may be an important point for bloggers in general, and for any future blogging I may do.

Unfortunately, I can't change the fact that the blog site that hosts these random thoughts requires you to sign up to properly submit comments (that is, non-anonymous comments). And if they did, there is the chance it could open up an entirely different can of worms. Would people start leaving inappropriate messages with no way to track who is doing it, or to stop them from doing it in the future.

Only one way to find out—give it a shot in the future.

1 comment:

catfish said...

The word is "nada."

Keep writing...