Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Be Careful What You Wish For

Alright ladies and gents, first things first, and the first thing is a story on SLAC Today about a new type of cooling system being installed in new computer hardware at the lab. The content is mildly interesting since the technology does bring water within a foot of rather expensive equipment, but its not exactly cutting edge technology either. I saw very similar systems at Indiana University while I was there.

But you may enjoy the title: A River Runs Through It. Pretty corny eh? I may have found a new favorite pass-time... coming up with incredibly corny titles for my stories... more to come.

Anyways, I'm sure you all saw this coming, especially those of you with more than a few months of journalistic experience. I shot my mouth, er I mean my fingers, off at the end of last week complaining that nobody was getting back to me. So what happens this week? That's right folks, everyone and their mom got back to me.

But it wasn't as bad as you might think.

For one thing, two of the people who responded declined to be interviewed. They're either too busy or don't want to be profiled/written about. And since we're in the business of making people happy at the lab, we must oblige. I still got plenty of leads on stories though, like the one about the homemade truck I talked about yesterday.

But in addition to that, I'm working on and redrafting stories about GLAST (a space telescope) monitoring, the homemade car, 3-D movies at the Kavli building, a former SLAC intern, and am trying to work on the Symmetry story about poster art in the midst of it all. I'm sure I forgot a couple in there too, so back to work on Thursday with plenty to do. Which is great, it keeps the day moving fast, helps me learn how to interview and teaches me to write betterer...

No comments: