Monday, June 11, 2007

Welcome to the Humble Home of My Blog

Hello everyone (or probably only Lesa Hatley-Major for now) and welcome to my blog!

First, let me introduce myself. My name is Ken Kingery, I'm a graduate student (soon to be graduating with credit from this blog... hopefully) at Indiana University in the school of Journalism. Before graduate school I earned a degree in Aerospace Engineering from THE Ohio State University.

That's right folks, I'm a rocket scientist.

A rocket scientist that loves to write. Enter my career ambition to become a full-time science writer. I've worked in the media relations office for Indiana University and also learned a few things from Earle Holland in the Office of Research Communications at Ohio State while getting a minor in professional writing.

Which brings us to the meat of the project, my summer internship at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC). I am interning as the "article writing machine" as named by the Head of Communications Neil Calder.

Writing machine is my name, safety tips, personal profiles, anniversary celebrations, events, ice cream socials, and (most importantly) science research, is my game.

I've been on the job for a month now and have learned a ton already. I obviously can't put it all down right now or I'll bore you all (or most probably just Lesa Hatley-Major, the professor kind enough to oversee this project who has to read it) to death. Therefore, on slower days I will recount some lessons learned or science tidbits from the past four weeks.

Because that is what this blog is about. It's about what I am learning at SLAC professionally, journalistically, and scientifically. It's a forum for SLAC scientists, writers, and others to leave feedback on my stories and suggestions for future articles. It's a foray into the future of journalism, and my friends, the future has arrived.

So sit back, relax, have a beer (I recommend a Guinness), and visit my blog now and then. Maybe we'll both learn something together.

P.S. All my stories, past and present, can be found at http://today.slac.stanford.edu.

No comments: